Saturday, December 4, 2010

[Post 58] What I learned...

Do you know how many papers students write in a semester? In academic students’ cases, they have to write at least one or two papers in a semester on average. And graduate students also should write one thesis in order to graduate. Moreover, graduates, who are looking forward a job, are required to write a resume and a letter of self-introduction. In these cases, if they have a writing skill, they might have done their job effectively and efficiently. Therefore, writing skill is one of the essential abilities to students. As I am one of academic students, I also have taken this English composition course, which enable me to learn how to write a literacy narrative, analyze a text, and write a compare and contrast paper.
At first, I learned about literacy narratives, which should include a well-told story, vivid detail, and some indication of the narrative’s significance. A well-told story means that the writer captures the readers’ interests and makes them keep reading. Vivid details are expressed by well-described circumstances, dialogue, and etc. And some indication of narrative’s significance is the purpose of the writing. When I wrote my literacy narrative, I was trying to describe well, write a dialogue between me and my mother. And I choose three people who made me to get interests in reading and wrote more detailed circumstances with them. Furthermore, I made an effort to write funny and entertaining essay. So, at the end, I made an interesting and well-explained literacy narrative.
In addition, analyzing a text was another writing skill that I learned. Analyzing a text means that interpretation it beyond what the text tells you directly. So, the key features of textual analysis are a summary of the text, attention to the context, a clear interpretation or judgment, and reasonable support for your conclusions. When I learned the textual analysis, the instructor showed us various kinds of advertisement. Ads were enough to know the analyzing a text, because they implied many different meanings in 30 seconds or a poster. Furthermore, I analyzed a sports drink, Gatorade, which was trying to attract men, because they used many of men as main characters find
At last, I got to know how to write a compare and contrast essay. Comparing and contrasting paper considers similarities and differences between two things. And there are two ways of comparing and contrasting, which are block and point-by-point method. In addition, using graph and images are good way to compare and contrast. Based on these information, I wrote a compare and contrast essay between two different kinds of sports drinks by using block method. I also searched some numerical information of them.
             I had learned those three types of writing skills in class. As I am an international student, composition is a pretty difficult part; however, I get to know how to write with effect. Furthermore, I like the method that I always had chance to write about what I learned before. I could practice it, noticed my weaknesses, and at the same time, made corrections. Therefore, I satisfy my English composition course, and I am looking forward to have more opportunities that I can learn other writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment